View Single Post
Old 01-03-20, 10:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
She had no case. The bike was used! She might have had a better chance suing the previous owner vs suing Giant. Even then the likely outcome would have been some kind of settlement. What would you want to see? Jail time for Giant executives? Carbon bikes pulled from the world market? I'm not understanding your obvious pique over this. I ride a bike with a carbon fork. So do thousands of other people. Mine is a name brand. What? Any product can be made shoddily and known as such or can have an excellent pedigree despite a hidden defect. Boeing 737 Max's were deemed to have a high degree of airworthiness. Now, not so much. I think it should take more than one lawsuit by someone who bought a USED model of carbon bike to inform an opinion that all carbon bikes are accidents waiting to happen. If you really feel that way then don't you suppose the thing to do would be not buy one?

If she could prove defective design, then she had a good case, resold or not. We don't know whether she could have or not, and we have no idea what the terms of settlement were.

But, yes, the likelihood that this one case would have much of an effect on the industry as a whole is really far-fetched. At most, it might have affected whether that particular model of fork would have had to come off of the market.

I do find some of the anti-carbon hysteria pretty funny, I must say.