View Single Post
Old 10-06-20, 09:05 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by WPH
Please post some pictures of your Duet somewhere here. Great old bikes! Lovely to see one in use and being cherished.
Here you go. I don't have any pictures of the bike when we first got it, but it needed some TLC. It was fun to restore and spiff up, especially because I love old bikes. I replaced the cables, chains, pedals, and so on, and put on the original parts where they had been replaced with modern versions, since the owners kept everything. Put on randonneur bars up front and silver drop bars in the back, bell, silver bottle cages, white bar tape, Brooks saddles, tanwall Paselas, and the original stoker stem. Bar-end shifters, too. We also got a great little Carradice trunk bag.

It's a lovely bike. Not the speediest or nimblest, but we do get going pretty fast on it. We've taken it camping with 40lbs of gear and and it worked just fine. We drove it halfway across the country to NY and got up to 50 on a steep descent - again, just fine. It handles like a truck, in a good way. Big, comfy, and stable (and heavy).

We're thinking seriously about upgrading to a Ritchey Double Switchback, but it is a great bike and it got us to love tandeming. The stoker especially - she wasn't much of a cyclist before the tandem and she loves riding it. We plan to give it to another couple once we get the new one built up, just as it was given to us.

Likes For samkl: