Old 11-02-18, 04:54 PM
Jmclay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
The chainstays and CS sockets are essentially ready for brazing; just a little bit of fine tuning remains. The included angle is around 30 degrees and a 62mm fender fits with a couple mm of clearance on either side. The manipulation of both stays and sockets was far more involved and difficult than it was for my 650b x 42 with 50mm fenders but I'm very pleased with the results. It was a mix of grinding and bending with my Omar Khiel bending bars; but you don't just insert the bars and lean on them! There is a lot of finesse involved for this amount of metal movement; I taped tiny pieces of tubing scrap, maybe 2mm x 2mm, to the bar to allow precise placement of the force I was applying. You can't just go in and bend the sockets as much as necessary or the shell will be ruined, quickly. A lot of grinding was involved too. Of course all of this work generated a huge gap between the inboard aspect of the sockets and the stays which had to be closed up. A couple of slots on each socket allowed that to be accomplished with judicious use of a hammer and drift. The stays fit beautifully and have exactly the shape and fender clearance I was after. More photos start here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/45679956511/in/dateposted-public/

After closing the inboard CS socket gaps

Before closing the gaps.

Last edited by Jmclay; 11-02-18 at 04:59 PM.