Old 01-07-19, 09:41 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Today's commute is brought to you by Tylenol, which I will probably be taking today after going down this morning on my ride into work.

The rutted ice ordeal continues. I was on the MUP heading down a small hill that ends with a hairpin right turn. This area is shaded and is well known for being slick, so I am always extra careful in this area. This morning no amount of care kept me upright. I was going pretty slow when suddenly an ice rut force my front tire about 4" to the left. I discovered that when that happens no amount of studs are going to keep you from hitting the ground. I wound up on my back looking at the sky. The back of my helmet cushioned the blow to my head. Thankfully the area I fell in was icy but dry, so my work clothes didn't get spoiled.

Upon gathering my bearings and standing up, I could see where my studs dug grooves in the ice as they slid sideways when I was going down. I should have taken a picture, but I was in a bit of a daze and kind of angry at myself for letting it happen (although I rode by this exact spot a half dozen times last week and never crashed.) Thankfully the bicycle was undamaged so I got back on the horse and finished the ride to work.