Old 10-17-15, 02:22 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Organized & Led Group Ride On Road - Won't Do It Again

To help get myself out the door I agreed to organize and lead a group ride. A local member suggested I take over a route that he used to do and sent me a link to it. It was on the road. I'm not a road biker but I agreed to do it and even drove it to make sure I knew where to go. Saturday morning comes along and a few bikers show up. A few things occurred which has led me to let the club know I won't be doing it again.

1 - People in cars are going to hate people on bikes no matter what bikes do. However some of the behavior exhibited by some in the group adds to the perception that people that bike on the road are jerks. Why? Because some of the bikers that were on this ride are jerks and reveled in it. And it turns out that this is no uncommon behavior according to them.

2 - Generally it started when I was bumped from behind when I stopped at a stop sign. Apparently this is not normal. The one who ran into me fell and got pissed. He got made because I stopped at a stop sign and he ran into me. He made the assumption that I was going to blow right through it. Why? Because that is what they do on group rides. They expect cars to stop of course but it's ok because they need to keep going. I told him to expect it again because I'm stopping at STOP SIGNS and obey the rules of the road if for no other reason than I expect cars to and I need to return the consideration.

3 - After the guy calmed down a bit and he asked "Do you ride on the road much?" "No, just the occasional organized event and if I have to a small connector." So he explains what "normal" is and it is what I've seen here and there from group rides while I have been in a car and noticed "Gee, no wonder people have attitudes...." When on a group ride it is even not uncommon for a large group to have one pull into an intersection to stop vehicles while the large group blows through. Then of course the vehicle(s), who now are pissed, have to drive behind them until they can pass. Perfect!

4 - He had no consideration for vehicles that were waiting to pass. He was defiant about it. This was HIS behavior and not everybody's so I don't want to make a generalization based on what he did.

Generally what he says is normal in a group ride is several of the things that people are cars are irritated at. We expect people in cars to behave and WATCH OUT FOR BICYCLES! yet many are out there being jerks and tearing it all down.

I am a large target. I don't need a vehicle with an attitude being given a LARGER attitude by someone and then taking it out on ME. Or my wife or family or other bikes that ride with consideration.

I contacted the person in the club and very nicely let him know I don't think I could lead a ride anymore because I would end each ride with a stomach ache. We have a fine bike path system around here so I think I'll stick to that unless it is an organized event, I'm on a solo ride, or with someone I regularly ride with that has some sense about them.

In reality I may just not be awesome enough to be a person who regularly rides in a group on the road. I'm sure people who normally ride in those groups would be all over me with justifications.
Likes For WonderMonkey: