davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
man, dude, you have brought up the word "science" multiple times in this thread and telling us that skinnier tires are "less efficient" (whatever efficiency means we don't know),..
and then you say wider tire gives larger contact patch and thus is safer in cornering?? I wonder how much you really know about science?

First of all, skinnier tire doesn't mean smaller contact patch area, but a different contact patch profile.
Secondly, bigger contact patch doesn't mean higher mechanical grip in corners, because mechanical grip almost entirely rely on rubber type. This is the reason why MotoGP front tires are smaller than their rears while still providing tremendous mechanical grip (because they use softer rubber).

Lastly, I posted a youtube video of a guy on 23mm tires railing at speed that I'm sure nobody in here with their wider tires will come even close. So please stop the nonsense.

There are legit cases of using wider tires for comfort and traction (which is not the same as grip) like in gravels and mtb, but please don't falsely extrapolate this use onto pavement. You're actually doing a disservice posting misleading information.
You are mistaken - the benefits of wider tires apply to every riding surface except for velodromes. Wider tires allow for better traction, grip, whatever you want to call it, all other things being equal (rubber compound etc). The research is out there which supports this position. Everyone is just afraid of showing up on to their Saturday AM group ride with a non-conforming bike.

BTW efficiency just means you lose fewer watts or however you want to measure input because of vibration dampening.

Please stop misleading the OP with poor, outdated information as it relates to relatively narrow tires.