Old 09-30-19, 08:07 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
The idea that less rubber on the road results in higher grip is asinine. Ice blocks do not explain the forces at work here, they slip on surfaces because of the layer of water between the ice and the other surface. Rubber doesn't work like this.

Let's look at race cars - do dragsters and F1 cars have relatively wide tires or narrow ones? Not a perfect analogue for bikes but a lot closer than freaking ice blocks.

Wider tires are becoming the norm and the industry will fully embrace these ideas because they're safer and more efficient. You are free to cling just as tightly to your ideas as you wish. It's a free country (for now)
I used a block of ice. But the principle would apply to a block of cement or a block of rubber. This is simply a physics principle. I did not make this up.

I'm glad you asked me about F1 and dragsters. The reason why high high performance sports cars use wider and thicker is:
1. to support their weight
2. for longevity

If a dragster were to use a small tire, it would shred the tire in pieces. However, the rubber of these high performance cars are in fact pretty soft at operating temperature. And it's the softness of these tires (ie, high coefficient of friction) that give the tire their grip, not because they are wide. Wideness is for weight support.

I posted a link for formula showing that mechanic grip depends on coefficient of friction and not contact patch. Did you look at that? I reckon you didn't because you keep spewing the same nonsense?

Another way of thinking of it is this. If somehow tire manufacturer is able to construct a carcass in a smaller tire that could support the weight of these cars, then they would use smaller tires for aero and acceleration advantage.

my dude, this is not about any free country, it's about physics, and honestly you're just very ignorant. I'm not to debate with you anymore because there is nothing more I can say if you don't understand 2+2=4!

Last edited by aclinjury; 09-30-19 at 08:10 PM.