View Single Post
Old 12-31-19, 12:35 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

The Oregon beach seems to be one exception that nobody really cares about driftwood construction, although please keep it clean... no trash inside.

Some people like the wind shelters. I assume it is poor etiquette to hop into a shelter that someone is currently occupying, but go away for a few weeks, and it is free game for use, or for disassembly for raw materials.

I presume most of it gets washed away with the next winter storm.

I haven't watched a lot of survivalist shows. The team shows tend to make base camps for a few weeks. But, I don't think they ever show any cleanup and remediation efforts... which I hope is done. I haven seen some of them cheating, and hunting domestic pigs, for example.

Do the more individual outdoors shows also show camp teardown and cleanup?

Homeless Camps? They create a number of unique challenges. By definition they don't own the land (either public or private). One might recognise the ownership of the tent, but it might be considered abandoned if not occupied for a week.

Issues with the homeless camps may not be as much the campsite, but rather the horrible mess many of them frequently leave around them, and leave behind when they move. Obviously unique issues to deal with, but it doesn't include trashing the site they are staying on.
Humans trash stuff, it's part of our nature as an organism here. Blame materials science for creating stuff that doesn't rot in a few months or years. Without middens from prehistory, our knowledge of our ancestors would be so poor! That said... Leave No Trace, for the benefit of those who will come after you.