View Single Post
Old 01-08-20, 08:23 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Until these two broken-spoke incidents, I did not even realize there are so many different sized spokes! I figured a 26" wheel had a certain size spoke, a 27" had a longer one, etc. Why does it have to be so confusing?
Every hub is different. Every rim has a slightly different effective rim diameter. Rear derailleur wheels usually have a different length for the drive side than the non-drive side.

The last time I built up a wheel with a dynohub, I was going to use that wheel on a fork with rim brakes but I thought it made sense to buy a hub that could take a disc in the event I wanted such a wheel years from now. Then I realized that a disc front wheel with that particular dynohub would have different spoke lengths on one side of the wheel than on the other side. Thus, even some front wheels will have a different spoke length on one side than on the other.

What I find more frustrating is that I usually use Wheelsmith Spokes, they are sold in a bag of 50. A wheel usually takes 32 or 36, if you want a couple spares that is 34 or 38 for a wheel. Why would they sell spokes in a bag of 50? And i usually use Sapim Polyax Brass Niples, why are they sold in bags of 100?