Old 03-08-15, 08:16 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scratcher09

Just picked up this Raleigh Grand Prix. I believe it is a '77. It had sat for many years and looked to be original except it had no wheels. Seller said he'd include a set of alloy wheels and tires. I dissasembled and cleaned and lubed all the bearings and brought it back to life. I figured it would make a decent spare bike for guests. And at $50 I figured it was a good buy. Is there any drawback to riding on wide tires (700X38)? And is there any shame in a man riding a lady's bike?
Couple things...

(1) I think everyone has answered the "riding a lady's bike" question...no shame at all!
(2) Wide tires...many people are now finding that the ride that a wide tire gives is quite nice! It is cushier, softer...and you can ride a bit less pressure without pinch flats (but still be careful). Modern research has shown that rolling resistance is not as big as we used to think on these wider tires...a bit more? Yes, but not enough that you will notice...and for riding distance, the softer ride is nice!
(3) @$50, this was a great buy...not a good one...of course, given that you can replace the cables, etc on your own. If not, the LBS will do it...and it should still be a good buy!