Old 05-23-16, 03:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Can Wolfgang paint sealant be used on raw polished aluminum?
I don't know. It is paint sealant. Not trying to be sarcastic. I really don't know if it would set up a barrier or not. I can't see why it wouldn't but I'm not a chemist.

Having said that, what I understand from reading is that the newer sealers cure in the presence of oxygen. If dew settles on the car overnight it will not cure as the moisture will "drown" it. I put the car in the garage and looked at it every few hours. It got shinier (more shiny?) as the sealer cured throughout the afternoon. I put a few coats of carnuba over the sealant so that it pops.

Honestly, I would just wax a bike. That's just me. Carnuba will last 6 to 8 weeks if you wipe it down often. My Bianchi has about 9,857 coats of Megiars Gold Class carnuba. I want to try Meguiars Ultimate but its $25/can and I'm not sure it is compatible with the paint sealant on my car. The bike is nice but I'm not spending $25 on wax that can only be used on my bicycle.

Zymol is another excellent brand. Their color specific polishes are outstanding.

If I had the money I'd get ceramic nano coating on the car. That's really the way to go. It isn't wax or sealant and will last forever. Once and done. It is very expensive though. Might be worth looking at for a nice bike.

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-23-16 at 03:26 PM.