View Single Post
Old 09-20-20, 08:54 PM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie
I have an '86 Centurion Ironman (the red and white one) that I've put modern components on. Wheels and drivetrain are now black, seatpost and cockpit are not. I think it would look better with all black components. The issue is the seatpost. I prefer two-bolt seatposts since I am anal about my saddle angle. I also need some setback. The bike takes a 27.0mm seatpost. I cannot find a black 27.0 two-bolt seatpost with setback--Thomson apparently only makes a 27.0 with zero setback, even if they did make at 27.0 with setback I am right on the edge of it not working with the way they angle the seatpost.

SO--to my question. I have heard one can ask a shop to ream out a seattube to go from 27.0 to 27.2 ID. On the scale of not an issue at all to a horrible idea, where is this? Frame is not a showpiece by any means, it gets ridden a lot, but by the same token I would be sad if this lead to its demise.

EDIT: also just curious: *why* is this bike 27.0? Is that just how Tange tubing of the time was? This has the Tange No. 1

EDIT #2 : just more context as to why I'm asking here....recently moved and so LBS and I are new to each other. I want to make sure I understand the risks if any, should they end up being the overconfident type.

WHY.. not just have the 27.2 post turned to 27.0.............? That route only potentially ruins something of much less value.

As I am sure you know... sh*t happens.. that way it aint your frame.
Likes For Aladin: