Old 10-19-14, 01:26 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, if you're now in the grip of bike consumer fever, and think you want a new bike, I'd suggest you continue along the "different flavor" line of thought. If you're buying a new bike there's no law that says you have to get rid of the old one, so consider keeping that - as you've previously observed, it's a perfectly decent road bike - and get something that you'd use for slightly different purposes.

I currently have four bikes. Used to be five, but I actually got round to selling one. My carbon race bike is a seven year-old Giant TCR. It has long been superseded by later editons and the new Propel, but it is still perfectly serviceable, stiff enough for me and with a frame weight of 1.1k I'd save only about 1lb in weight by spending about $3000 on a new frame. So it's going nowhere.

However, it isn't a bike I'd use for touring or commuting or off-road. So I have a heavy-duty tourer that will carry me and lots of luggage over reasonably challenging terrain. Then for just mooching around town there's the FG/SS - also doubles as a training bike in winter - which is much the cheapest, and which I don't mind locking up in places where a more expensive bike would draw the eye of bike thieves. And finally, there's the custom steel road bike that overlaps a bit with the TCR but is set up less aggressively for those long days in the hills.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that if you are going to have more than one, it is worth thinking hard about the sort of riding you'd like to do. Certainly a CX bike - maybe a Specialized tricross, if your LBS is a Specialized dealer - might be an option, it's a versatile bike in itself. And if you are using the bike to commute, a CX with a rack fitted is an excellent choice, fast enough to be fun, capable of carrying a load, clearances for mudguards and so on. And incidentally, commuting is a great way to get time on the bike without eating into the rest of your day.