stratford

Bikes: 96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Hiking everywhere in VT., NH., and Maine

Theres a bike path on the north side of Burlington, heads north towards South Hero Island, with a summer ferry over to the island.

Another trail is the East Coast Greenway outside of Portland.

Then a great selection of bike/horse trails in Acadia, which is one of all time favorite places to ride.
We are going to be around Portland and Acadia... Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by bmike
Rentals in Burlington. Local Motion or SkiRack. Right near the waterfront... bike path out to the causeway in the middle of Lake Champlain, and if you are there when the ferry is running you can scoot up to the islands. Pretty much as flat as you can get for VT.

Food? Burlington again has you covered. American Flatbread, Stone Soup, Farmhouse, Guild Tavern, Cortijo, Pascolo, Bleu (seafood), Hen of the Wood Burlington, Trattoria Delia are all family favorites.

Penny Cluse or Magnolias for breakfast. Get to Penny Cluse at opening if you want a table.
Out on Pine St. there are a couple of new options that I haven't been to yet - Zero Gravity Brewery, Arts Riot, South End Kitchen, and Citizen Cider.

Farmers Market in City Hall Park on Saturdays until early afternoon. Good grazing there too.
Free bike parking at the market too.

Can't wait to make it to Burlington. Biking and hiking options, great food and great beer! Very excited. Thanks for the choices and information.

Originally Posted by Malemute_Kid
Acadia National Park in Maine. The carriage road system in the park is an awesome place to bike, For both the casual riders/ families and the experienced cyclist, as the grades are gentle and the scenery is fantastic. No vehicles on the carriage roads but there are some hikers and horses. I know there are multiple places to rent bikes in Bar Harbor, and many will transport you and the bikes from town to the carriage road trailheads. I always bring my own bike when i visit so i cannot recommend a specific rental company.
I have heard nothing but great things about Acadia. I didn't know about the carriage road system! Thanks.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
What?... no Boston? A great and interesting city for visiting and cycling. Post to this thread you if change your mind.
Well, we are going to be in Boston the last three days of our vacation. I'm dropping the rent car off at the airport when we get there and we'll just be using feet and public transportation.

So yes, feel free to offer up any advice you have for BeanTown! We are staying on Beacon Street, just a few blocks west of Boston Common.

Originally Posted by DanaA
If you get to the White Mountains, there is a nice bike trail in Franconia Notch, with a bike shop at the bottom. They shuttle you to a starting point at Cannon Mountain and the ride is a net about 6-8 miles and net downhill. Great for kids. Some of the most spectacular scenery in New England as well. Did this with my wife and kids and even brought my in-lows along and had a great time over a Columbus Day weekend a couple of years ago.
Franconia Notch is one of the places we already planned on seeing. Thanks for the help! Sounds awesome.