Originally Posted by stratford
Well so far we have reservations for:
New London, Connecticut
Burlington, Vermont
Montreal, Quebec
Lincoln, New Hampshire
Conway, New Hampshire
Boston, Massachussetts

We are still deciding exactly when and where we are staying in Maine. I know we are hitting the Acadia National Park area and Portland, Maine. Other places we see will be places we drive past and stop at for a bit. There just isn't time to do everything. Which is a bummer. Still, it is going to be a great vacation!
Sounds like a great itinerary...a veritable Grand Tour of New England.

I note Rhode Island is not on the list; Providence is a nice city but not too distinct from Boston. A special gem in RI is Newport with all the mansions of the 19th century barons.

I suppose one other New England scene is Cape Cod and the Islands (Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket) though they are crazy in the summer. But for a nice Massachusetts Maritime experience, there is the so-called "other Cape,” Cape Ann on the North Shore about 40 miles north of Boston, which includes the seaside towns of Gloucester and Rockport, and famous Salem, MA is nearby, all accessible by train FWIW.

BTW, I don’t know how your family is about travelling, but I personally cannot see enough when I visit somewhere. I’m up about 5 AM to start off with a bike ride, and try to keep on going until about 11 PM. Last year I went to a meeting in Philadelphia and brought my 25 year old son. I would come back to the Hotel around 11 AM and find him still in bed.