BassistBiker
Wide Load

Bikes: Salsa Journeyman, Trek Fuel EX 8, State Bicycles Delfin Core-Line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
LBS Story....Pretty Bummed.

OK, so let me start by saying, I am totally new to mountain biking, and I'm fully aware I own a "cheap" bike....Brace yourself for a long read.

Now, the story...

I bought a 2018 Trek Marlin 5 about 2 months ago, I have since put about 75 miles on it (75% paved paths, 25% easy singletracks).

Last night I hit the trails again, super easy singletrack stuff, not an obstacle in sight, just some small dips & tiny roots, about a mile into my ride, I developed a considerable squeak in my front end, could be coming from the stanchions or maybe the headset, dunno...finished my ride, and by the end of it, I could hear my squeaking reverberating throughout the woods (would have been funny...if it weren't my bike).

I called the bike shop where I bought it this morning, and explained the problem, they told me to drop it off, so after work, I took it down there and dropped it off...

The bike "mechanic" took a look at it and said (something like), "Yeah, on a cheap bike like that, there is bound to be noise, I doubt Trek will give you any warranty consideration, but I suppose I can take a look at it, if you can leave it with me"...(He seemed like I was some how putting him out by looking at my brand....new....bike).

I have NO WARRANTY CONSIDERATION on a 2 month old bike?!?!?! I mean I get it, I only spent $519 on the bike, but for $519 shouldn't it at least be decent??

So, I left it with him, I didn't know what else to do...I don't expect him to actually fix anything, based on what he said, and how he acted.

Soooo, what do you people think? What should I do?