View Single Post
Old 08-21-19, 01:08 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Normally I just ring my bell when I'm about 15 feet or so behind someone, whether they be on foot or on another bike. I don't have a loud enough voice to yell "on your left," and most people don't know what it means anyway. A bell gets the message across loud & clear that a bike is coming up behind you.

I can't say that I've noticed other cyclists ringing bells or saying "on your left" on the trail much, since I haven't been passed much. Not humble-bragging, it's just that the rail trail I ride is not that heavily populated, and usually it's me, a somewhat serious rider, doing the passing of slower, casual riders. However, on group rides I have noticed others in the group using "on your left" when passing me, which is to be expected.

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Do you do this because you found that the hand signal for slowing/stopping was ineffective? Not everyone understands common signals. I will signal if someone is close behind and it seems to communicate my intentions. I wish there was a signal for joggers about to do a sudden 180 at a specific target point known only to themselves.
I don't like using the hand signal for stopping, because I need to be using both hands for braking. However, I feel that one leg down should be enough of an indication that someone is planning on stopping. If I notice someone putting a foot down I figure they're going to stop, and I will brake or move around them as necessary. Hopefully they'll realize the same thing if I put a foot down.