Old 08-24-19, 04:35 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JesseMN
Should I purchase new or preowned?
Haha. Are you a car salesman for your day job?

Used is fine if you find some in really good shape. I do see them on CL surprisingly often. It's not like there are Tons of them, but it's semi-frequent.
Originally Posted by gerryl
If you can find some used Arkel panniers buy them. They come with a transferable lifetime warranty.
They also make the best panniers I've ever used. They aren't cheap, but if you can afford them, they're awesome and you won't be having to buy them again.
Originally Posted by stardognine
A word of caution, avoid anything made by Axiom. I bought 2 pair used from a guy, and though one pair is fine, the other pair literally fell apart on me.
And these are the worst panniers I've ever tried. Brush them against anything fairly solid and slightly rough and there's a hole in them. Or rub them against something smooth in the same spot too many times(which isn't a lot of times), etc. No surprise my rear Axiom rack failed too. Rated for nearly 100lbs, carried around ~30lbs daily for about 40 days, and the right strut slowly bent further and further on one side, so the rack kept leaning right. I kept having to straighten it out. No surprise, eventually the strut cracked and broke. Lesson learned about that company. I would have been better off saving my money and buying Nashbar brand, etc.(when they were still the old, good company). Both items were denied warranty. The one shop just outright told me there was no point in trying to do the rack, and that they knew the Axiom rep would deny a warranty on a rack. The shop that I got the panniers from(which is an awesome shop) took the panniers from me and told me to come back in a week. They tried to get them replaced and they were denied. The Axiom warranty is worth Less than the paper it's written on. At least you can use the paper to start a camp fire, to dry out your clothes when the pannier fails and you have to dry the rain soaked clothes that were in the "waterproof" pannier. I've honestly never owned a cycling item as bad as the two pieces of Axiom gear I bought. /rant

Last edited by 3speed; 08-24-19 at 05:03 AM.