1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
I am new to Bike Commuting and the rainy season in NorCal hasn't quite started yet, so I haven't tried a commute in the rain yet, though I am debating trying when it does rain.

I am not concerned about me or my cargo getting wet (good gear will mitigate that). My concerns are around safety, specifically:
1. Roads being more slick when its raining, particularly painted bike lanes, which seem to get more slick when wet then unpainted roads
2. Beyond just roads, there are a number of metal plates (for construction or underground access), yellow crossing things on bike paths, etc that I have to cross daily (I can't avoid them all the way many are in the bike lanes/paths). These have been very slippery when wet (have had some very wet, drizzly commutes due to Fog in San Francisco).
3. Large descent - I have a large decent in my commute both directions - making more more concerned about slick roads.
4. Visability, more so for other drivers seeing me

I can reduce #3 by biking to a ferry instead of biking all the way. Maybe #1 and 2 are not as big a deal as I fear, so curious to hear what others things. What about 4? How does it compare to visibility in the dark?/
1 Yes, caution should be taken when braking and turning. I don't know what the exact type of paint they use in your area;
but if it's the same dull green paint they use here it shouldn't be a problem.

2 Same precaution with white reflective paint, see #1 and video.

3 Brake early, move butt back to give more traction on the rear.

4 Light rain, you really don't have to do anything. In hard rain; it helps to use a baseball cap
or a decent visor on your helmet. Check videos to get an idea for visibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hheUc-zlfiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI