Old 08-19-19, 08:49 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
So my rear tire gave up after 1000miles. Any recommendations for a new one?

Hi all,

My rear tire (Giant P-SL1 factory tire) gave up after 1000miles. When I unmounted it from my rim, I was surprised to see that the ''fibers'' inside tore apart and my inner tube, inflated at 120psi, was popping that part of the tire out (bubble). I'm on my 3rd rear tube this summer, so perhaps that explained why they kept on rupturing. When I called my local shop, they said that OEM tires were cheap, which I was not surprised to hear. I would however have expected that they last much more than that (at least twice!), especially that I use my bike 90% of the time on clean paved surface in the mountains not far from where I live. The thread is not even worn out yet, it's barely used.

I'm looking for replacement tires (2), and I'm pretty much going for the Michelin Power Competition, but I thought I'd ask your opinions here. I've read good reviews, but I'm concerned about if their lifespan. Usually, I know that the more performant a tire is, the less lifespan you'll get. Does some of you run them currently? If so, is there anything you'd like to share? My local shop also proposed Vittoria tires which I'm not familiar with. Any thoughts on these?

Any other tires you would recommend that would be both performant & last long? I am ready to sacrifice some performance to have a tire that'll last longer.

Thanks in advance,
Pascal

Last edited by eduskator; 08-19-19 at 08:58 AM.