Old 03-29-20, 06:01 PM
jdishner

Bikes: Schwin Paramount XL, 2016 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
So you have hills where the 36/28 is inadequate? If so, an 11-32 cassette would help, providing that your RD has an extra 4T of wrap capacity. You might have to look up the exact RD model to be sure. The next step would be a 50/34 or 48/32 crank. Those don't require more wrap capacity. FSA isn't good at listing the chain ring bolt circles, so it's hard to say whether just new chain rings could be purchased or a whole new crank required. With a 48/32 you also have to be sure that the FD can drop low enough.
Great question, thanks for your response. The 36/28 is probably adequate except for my current lack of fitness and not being accustomed to riding up mountains. Really what I am looking for (and I didn't realize it fully until reading the replies in this thread) is a way to stay in the big ring more. I like the idea that Woodcraft suggested of changing everything: 48/34 up front, 11/34 in the back. I have a little money to invest in this project but I'm just learning what all of this means as I didn't need to address this before I moved. I'm moving away from the mindset of going into the LBS and paying them to do every little thing for me, and learning how to do some things on my own. That is requiring me to start learning from scratch, so I really appreciate your input. I may just upgrade to a new crank/chainring set depending on how much they cost.