Old 06-09-20, 11:21 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by fofinet855
Thanks again. After hours of googling and checking all off the components I think I might have settled on a Conway GRV 600 Alu. Anyone has any experience with the brand? I can't find any review online.
Other gravel bikes have better features, but this one ships with a RD-RX400, 10speed rear derailleur, which supports sprockets up to 36 teeth, and light gears are more important to me than, for example, support for rack on the fork. The Scott 520 is supposedly built to last, but the reviews don't seem to agree, and the drivetrain is of quite lower quality. The Bergamont Grandurance look very good, but they all have heavier gears.

The only detail I'm not entirely convinced of is the hydraulic brakes. I have a vague idea that cable brakes will last longer, do you agree? But in any case I suppose I can replace them later on.
For maximum versatility & durability the frame is much more important than drive-train weight/quality. Nowadays the cheaper drive-train parts are often quite good & not all that much heavier than fancier versions. GRV 600 looks limited as to tire width, stem adjustment & front-rack mounts. Hydraulic brakes have easy brake effort & are reportedly quite durable though they limit choices if changing components.