genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by archicarla
Updates!
- Diving / hauling out mission was a great success. No dramas. One diver (me) and two guys up top on the other end of the line.
- rinsed thoroughly on the dock with fresh water everywhere.
- Got them home and took headsets and seat posts off and let all the water drip out / evaporate there. True to cproberton1's original post, water was *everywhere* including kickstand, handlebars, inside the rims, you name it! Washed everything with a cloth / soap & water
- We have befallen the age-old trap of some people saying WD40 everything and some people saying "sacrilege!!!" so we ended up hedging our bets and using some WD40 sparingly in some areas...
- My bike chain started to rust really quickly, so I WD40d it, then put chain lube on it. BF's chain seemed fine after rinsing so just soap & water & lube.
- BF took his out for a ride and said "if I didn't know this bike was a the bottom of the ocean 4 hours ago, I absolutely wouldn't notice anything wrong." Internal hub worked fine, brakes worked fine.
- LBS will take a look at the hubs and brake cables/pads etc today and let us know what else they think we need to do!

I think the short time in the water, being submerged and not in/out of the water repeatedly, and relatively shallow depth/low pressure has been kind to these bikes. They seem totally fine, for the price of $55 scuba gear rental and TBD bike shop fees.

How this happened... started with a bad idea that the 'safest' spot to park our bikes at the marina would be *not* at the bike rack near the gated entry ramp (too visible to thieves, he said!), but rather at the very end of the ~5' wide dock finger where our sailboat is moored. We returned to the dock after a day out, BF stepped off the boat onto the dock to tie on the lines, the dock pitched just a little too much for my kickstand angle, and like dominoes they both fell very (very) quickly straight over the side. So, in other words, a completely avoidable situation that was no one's fault but our own! Yayyyyyy....
WD-40 was developed to displace water in military development tests.
WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed the product. The first company to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product commercially was Convair, an aerospace contractor, to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion.
Use the stuff heavily, not sparingly. It is not a lubricant as others have also mentioned. But it is perfect for your application.

BTW, I had a feeling marinas, boats and docks were involved. Fair winds.