View Single Post
Old 09-11-04, 07:21 PM
bikeman
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my contribution to a neat idea for a thread. Nice to know I'm not alone as an over 50 cyclist. My non-cycling friends think I'm a little nuts and need to grow up. What do they know?

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
I ride a 5 year old Litespeed Classic, Ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium wheelset. I also commute on a Cannondale MTB Caad 2 set up with fenders and lights. I had a tandem and sold it recently. I also have an older Trek from the 80's that is set up for flat rides with a fixed gear.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No supplements at all. I just eat right and watch my cholesteral levels which tend to be high although I'm skinny looking but well toned legs.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Definately a bit. I usually take 7-10 miles on a long ride to start feeling good. Still a pretty good sprint but suffer on the hills (don't we all?)

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Started riding on a decent bike when I was 14 years old. Rode a lot as a young person, gave it up for a while after college to start to raise a family. Really picked it up seriously again in the 80's when I saved up enough to get my Trek 770 (that is the bike that is now the fixed-gear). Went crazy 5 years ago when I got my Litespeed (with the blessings of my lovely spouse

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
All kinds. Commute to and from work depending on distance from my job. I also ride club rides during the cycling season (hey it's Ohio and you can't ride much in February) as well as a couple rides each weekend. During the summer I've ridden as much as 250 miles in the week. I like rides that are from 40-75 miles but have done lots of century rides. Did a little racing but Crits scare me. I don't like to break collar bones (did that ONCE on a commute home - long story).

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
I ride during the season at least 3 times a week. I'm currently looking for work after a downsizing so I do ride during the week when I get sick of looking for a decent job. All my friends are jealous - of the afternoon rides not the unemployment part of course. Had a late start this year and have the lowest mileage in a long time with coming up on 2200. Usual yearly mileage is 3000-4000.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
I ride the wind-trainer in the winter, hike and some weight training although I hate that part. Never really liked skiing after badly twisting my ankle while X-country skiing once.

I'm 52 years old and my friends think I look much younger. Helps not to have a mid-age bulge in the gut.