Old 11-01-18, 12:42 AM
baj2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
opening can or worms....
mechanical brakes generally have a bit less power and modulation. also need adjustment more often for pad wear. there are different qualities of course.
Larger rotors can help to make them work better.

Cable also has the risk of water from snow in the cable and freezing.

If the bike comes with mechanical brakes, just try out, upgrade rotors if needed and then go to hydraulic if needed. Or be happy with them the way they are. Don't sweat it, they are an easy upgrade if needed.
Disagree on the mechanical vs hydraulic disc braking power, although the quality of the type of brake certainly makes a difference. I have Avid BB7's (mechanical) on my 2003 Giant Rainier (really nice brakes for a cheaper bike) and they have no less stopping power than the hydraulic Avid Elixir CRs on my 29er (2010) or the hydraulic Tektro Dracos (2016) on my fatty. I will agree with the less modulation comment, but it's something I think you get use to and it becomes less of an issue, at least for the riding I do. The Rainier has been my Winter bike for the last 8 years, I added fenders and studded tires. I ride it a lot less now that I have my fatty, but I have never had any issues with the disc brake cables freezing up, they've always worked like a champ.