View Single Post
Old 09-30-10, 03:19 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
My lower back has issues with excessive upright riding. Yet I am fine with a huge amount of saddle to bar drop. Hence the reason even my flat bar bike has the bars lower than the seat.
I have always found this strange.
Me too. Strange, huh?
I was contemplating that very thing this past weekend when I was remarking to myself how natural I felt on my bike. My bars are easilty 4" below my saddle. When I raced 7-9" was pretty typical for me. I'm pretty tall - 6'2 - and am "long and lean" gymnasitic body type, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I'd like to try a bike with the "French fit" (fist ful of seatpost) such as a Rivendell, properly measured and set up for me, just to check it out. Even so, such bikes still promote a forward-leaning bias, just not as extreme as the big drop setup.
After commuting for about 2 months on my Bianchi Milano (with it's swept back handlebars) on a 24-25 mile roundtrip commute with 3-4 miles of steady grades on the trip home, I swapped in a flat bar and dropped the stem - it was MUCH better for me. I couldn't stand the upright position for that particular commute.

My current transportation/commuter is a drop bar cyclo-cross-ish bike with about 4" of drop and I love it.

For a casual ride to the coffee house, well, maybe I'd consider the upright thing, but I'd probably walk if it was that close.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-30-10 at 03:25 PM.