Old 10-09-15, 03:23 PM
3wheelgranny

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Tricycle with electric upgrade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trike stability - please be kind!

I'm just a fat old lady. I've been using a recumbent EXERCYCLE regularly enough to feel that I could start biking to work (I'm a nanny). BUT we have very hilly, narrow roads in downtown Atlanta, and I have to bring a big old suitcase full of non-stop entertainment to work every day, so I decided that an adult tricycle (upright, single-speed 26" Schwinn Meridian with a large basket) would be the way to go. I can carry my gear, AND I'm planning to add an e-bike kit to it to help with those hills. Bike arrived yesterday, finished assembly today, took it for a spin around the block.

WHOA! I had NOT anticipated the high-crowned center of the road to be so destabilizing! These are old neighborhoods, and cars are parked on both sides of the narrow streets. Even staying in the center of one lane, I'm tipped pretty far to my right, and steering is very difficult. I had to brake and pull over numerous times to avoid hitting a parked car or swerving into traffic.

I had decided against a recumbent because of visibility, but now I understand the appeal. I went crazy trying to find a place where I could try out, rent or borrow an adult trike before I ordered one cold, but I couldn't find anything in the entire state of Georgia. So I went with cheap, and I'm pretty much stuck with it now.

I'm going to let some of the air out of my tires, and see if that helps (they are pumped up to 60#), but, any other advice?

I'm not interested in attaining great speed; I just want to be able to cruise to work and the grocery store (each about a mile away) and maybe open her up if I can find a bike trail that isn't populated by "serious" riders who sneer at the tubby girl on the wobbly trike.
Likes For 3wheelgranny: