View Single Post
Old 10-10-15, 07:36 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
No sneers from here. There are enough couch potatoes for us to do that to.

It appears that there are three problems with your trike. The first one is the weight of the trike. Tricycle World lists the specifications and says it is 77 pounds. That's a lot of weight to pedal down the street and there is absolutely nothing that will fix this problem other than finding a lighter trike. It's more than twice the weight of most of the horrible bikes sold by places like WalMart. The second is having only one gear. There is a reason why so many of us older people were ecstatic when 10 speed bikes hit the market in the late 1960s. It meant you could make pedaling much easier when starting out or going up a hill and then shift to a higher gear when you got going (or downhill). It sure made riding a bike a lot more pleasant. The last is the high center of gravity. It does make the trike a lot more tippy. When I first started to ride recumbent tadpole trikes, there were some bike paths that would give me the willies because they were pitched to one side to allow rain to run off. After I rode them a while I didn't even notice that they weren't flat. That might be the case for you too. You just get accustomed to steering so that you go straight. The other things can't be solved.