Old 11-18-19, 11:15 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
I've only been in a group ride once ... The last time I've been in a group ride was since 2017. ... a 50 mile group ride and decided to try it out. ... We were just averaging 16-19 mph at 1% incline so it must have been a modest pace plus I was getting all the help from the riders in front of me. .... was well fueled a few hours prior to that.
On a 1% incline 16-19mph is pretty quick. Presumably this was the group warmup. Guys who warm up that quick uphill are good. When you try the ride again be ready for some speed. If you get dropped again, good. You are good enough to do the warmup and that is a great start.

The only real help you might have been getting from the riders ahead was the power of a good example. Drafting does exist at speeds as low as 16mph, it is not a big deal. Runners like to talk about draft at 8mph, cycling is completely different. Don't imagine draft makes much difference below 20. Not crucial until the pace is plain fast.

So this was a 50 mile ride and you were planning to ride to and from. Long day in saddle . Would have been 80 miles? You have to eat for that. Cycling is not swimming and cycling is not running. Had you completed this ride it would have been what, 4 or 5 hours. Tell me how many swimmers do 5 hour swims. Those few who do learn how to eat while in the water. What you ate a few hours prior might or might not have mattered. Your personal nutrition is going to be personal. I have known a few riders who would go and do a fast 80 miles on a cup of coffee, no breakfast. That is not most of us. Most of us eat breakfast and continue to eat on the ride. You have to figure this one out yourself. Once you bonk recovery is not easy. Basically you cram a lot of simple sugars and hope and wait. When well bonked you are not making good decisions so no special plans, just eat. Deciding to get off the bike and figuring a way home in a bad situation, that was hard and that was smart. Tells me you have enough common sense to learn all the rest