Old 10-12-16, 11:14 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Contemplating giving up my car (hear me out)

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about selling my car for a couple reasons.

a) I know I can easily commute to 95% of the places I need to go on a bike, including things like nearby library and grocery store.

b) It's too much of a temptation to drive the car and ignore my bike.

I like owning a car, I like driving a car. So I'm not really in need of a discussion about the merits/drawbacks of "living car free". That's not the point...... which is why I'm posting here and not LCF.

The point is.... I think I am missing out on a lot of adventure, health, and enjoyment because owning a car is too easy and lazy. And it's starting to bum me out I'm starting to consider that maybe I need to take more drastic measures to properly motivate myself to overcome my laziness. I'm almost 33 years old and I need to be having more adventures and fun in my life.

I suspect that after a short adjustment period of maybe 3 or 4 weeks, I'd be very happy with just my bike. I'd learn to commute through the winter and by next spring I'd be a bulletproof cyclo-commuter. And maybe after a period of not owning a car and relying on my bike, I could decide to get another car if I want to.

Thoughts? I love riding my bike, and every time I drive my car I watch longingly and lovingly as other folks whiz by on their bikes, wishing that was me. I don't have a family and rarely ever transport anyone in my car other than myself. There is also light rail that I can ride w/ my bike on board almost the whole way to work if the weather is very bad.

(plz don't throw bricks at me for not posting this in LCF. Those peeps are not always the most objective or gracious about a question that has nothing to do with philosophy or stickin-it-to-the-man, neither of which I care about at all. thanks!)