View Single Post
Old 08-03-20, 10:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I have to admit, some of this did make me laugh. (EDIT: and some of it was spot on) Thanks HT. Fun thread!

Oh, and LDL, I'm 60 years old, and been riding since I was a little kid, just like most folks here. (well, the second part) Thanks for sort of asking. Have you been riding for over 60 years?

To be honest, I do suspect you have more experience in different geographical areas than me, so I do appreciate your views.

Since we're going anecdotal here: My work place is on road posted at 50 mph, so yeah, 60 mph traffic. I ride it during peak periods. The first 8 or 9 years I did this it had absolutely zero shoulder. It was either bravely use the full lane or use a car. Like most everyone else, I considered riding it to be instant suicide. But I wanted to ride my bike to work, so studied up on the VC (and VC type) teachings before heading out. I'm happy to report zero safety issues after more than 14 years, on this and other high speed roads. My default is always to be in the lane, right tire track or farther left. Then, as faster traffic comes up from behind, I'll move right if it is safe and reasonable to do so, which obviously it not always is. I often look back or signal in certain situations. Drivers see me as relevant and courteous. It plain works.
OK, you've got a year on me. Must be your youthful appearance that fooled me. I mentioned how long I've been riding on roads only because there's been several posts, yours included, which have suggested that I don't ride on them much, while 175 miles of road riding just this last weekend would suggest otherwise.

I ride on 50 mph roads with no shoulder fairly often in MA. I would probably not ride as far out into the road as you do in that situation, but I really haven't found that too problematic. The 55 mph roads I refer to, generally in NH, are probably moving at somewhat closer to 70 mph. This is the Live Free or Die state, the black pickup trucks are very often driven with quite a bit of attitude. I will likely not just get honked at if I try those roads your way.

And yes, that regional perspective affects my judgment of what is or isn't prudent. I have never dealt with anywhere near as much driver hostility towards bicyclists anywhere outside of NH and north central MA..