View Single Post
Old 12-27-11, 04:35 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I was around 260 at my max back at the end of last year and I was a fan of 28 and 32mm tires for my longer distance rides of 200k and up. For shorter rides I really dug my 28mm tires, but I've also ridden anything down to a 23mm without any problems.

Here's my feeling on the whole tire selection process; some is fact, some is preferrence.

Fact: Narrow tires at higher pressures give a harsher ride feel. They just do. There's less deformation of the tire when contacting the road, so "chatter" goes right up to the rider.

Fact: (If all other construction is equal) lower TPI tires have tougher inherent resistance to puncture/cuts due to the heavier cording in the tire casing, but give a harsher ride because they are not as flexible.

Preference: For paved path and fast road riding on good conditions (no glass, staples, nails, rocks, thorns, etc.) I prefer a narrower tire with a high TPI casing. Even when inflating to the top of the suggested range, I like the cornering feel of a high TPI road tire in a narrower width like a 23 - 26mm.

Preference: For rough roads and crushed stone or packed grass/dirt paths I like a lower TPI (under 80) and a wider width like a 30 or 32mm tire. The extra volume gives you the option to run the pressure a little lower to absorb chatter and roll over instead of bounce off small rocks and roots and divots. It also helps put a larger contact patch on the ground, giving better traction on what could be a loose surface. The drawback is that larger contact patch means more effort goes into pedaling.

My favourite wide tire (28mm and up) is the Panaracer Pasela TG. It's a 66 TPI casing, but the tan sidewalls are really supple and it rides much more like an expensive high TPI tire, even though it's got a puncture resistance belting and a moderately tough tread area.
I don't like the narrower Pasela TG because I think the tread feels "squishy" on the higher pressure versions of the tire. For narrower high pressures I like the Continental Gatorskin. I feel that the rolling resistance is less than that of the same width versions of the Pasela TG, and the cornering feel at higher speeds is "stickier," if that makes sense.

Of course, tires are almost as personal and polarizing a choice as saddles... so aside from the 2 tire facts listed above, the rest of this is just one dude's opinion.