View Single Post
Old 03-18-14, 08:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Ultralight touring isn't for everyone, but going with enough gear to require panniers and a trailer is a very bad idea, in my opinion at least. I could maybe see it in very special cases like someone touring between rock climbing destinations or between gigs with his or her cello. If all you have is camping and cooking gear and your other necessary items either a trailer or panniers will not only allow you to pack your gear but to pack way too much gear.
+1. I don't go ultralight and even I can get everything I need to cross the country camping and cooking and preapared for a wide range of weather conditions on my racks and in my Ortlieb Sport and Back packers (no handle bar bag) with room to spare for things like food for long, isolated stretches and groceries if I need to pick them up on the way to camp. At 6'2" with broad shoulders, my clothes, footwear, mattress and sleeping bag are larger than average. Also, I carry a good amount of cooking gear, including a Dragon Fly Stove (somewhat bulky) and fuel bottle. Yet it all fits with room to spare.

In this case, if the three will be sharing gear like cookware, a stove and even possibly tents there is a reduced need for capacity/person.

According to The Touring Store's web site, that second set up is 8.3 lbs. of bags. Assuming a Tubus Cargo (with hardware) and Tara low rider, you are up to about 11.3 lbs. The B.O.B. adds at least another 13 lbs. (Not sure if that weight incudes the dry bag or not.) That's nearly 25 lbs. before you pack a thing.