View Single Post
Old 03-18-17, 07:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
03-18-17

Installed the rotors onto the wheels. Comments inline.

American Classic 29" MTB Race wheels are not available with centerlock hubs except by special order and then only to OEM's. The Jamis Renegade Elite factory build comes with these.

Centerlock would have been really nice but as they say, you can't always get what you want and so I'm using Shimano SM-RT86 "Ice Technology" rotors with the 6-bolt ISO mounting system. These are 160mm size where all of the RLT 9 RDO factory builds come with 140mm centerlock rotors.

The first step was to RTFM but the instruction sheet was outdated, referencing a long discontinued design using a "Fixing washer" which was not in the box. A quick Google search found incorrect/outdated instructions being discussed as far back as 2012. So much for RTFM. Shimano needs to get their act together here.

Other than the washer, the parts go together exactly as pictured above. The rotor goes on the hub, then the tightening plates, then the T25 Torx screws. Care has to be taken to install the tightening plates correctly - they have the word "TOP" embossed on them and little tabs which stick out - these face away from the rotor.

Bolts are tightened in a star pattern similar to tightening the lug nuts on a car wheel. Here I took extra care to accurately tighten each bolt to 2-4Nm and to ensure that all the bolts were precisely tightened relative to each other.

The braking surfaces were then cleaned with CRC Brake Cleaner and the wheels were mounted onto the frame. This time I used a little grease on the threads and torqued the maxles to spec. As an aside, I've started a small spreadsheet with all the torque specs for this bike and am going to tape it to the inside lid of my toolbox.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-19-17 at 06:56 PM.