View Single Post
Old 10-30-18, 08:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Your handle agrees with your comments. The industry needs to keep moving forwards, like any does. I'm as retro as they come, my job is being the grizzled guy in the back of the shop. I build with steel and ride 36 spoked wheels, although I don't use sew ups any longer I do have a few bikes still sporting them. But even I see the need for the new generation of riders/buyers to be supportive of the business and visa versa. While I'm not a bike backer (a term I dislike almost as much as 29er) I do find it really cool that this new generation is embracing what I've loved to do for so since 1972, tour and spend the night out with only your bike to get back with.

If well done touring frames and forks can be made from carbon are exciting to riders I say great. So far I can't say that completely is the case but there's no design reason why carbon wouldn't make a nice touring bike. If you really want to kill of touring bikes then continue to reject any changes to the materials used in making them.

Besides those who still will want steel touring bikes will seek out people like me (but not me as I don't build for the public any more) and get one made for them. Andy