Old 01-01-19, 08:29 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
This article claims that there won't be any progress in autonomous vehicles in 2019. It seems the reason all the big car companies jumped into the autonomous car game was to slow its progress.
That's a made up story based on no factual evidence. For your assumptions to hold water you have to demonstrate that driverless technology is more viable than the car companies make it out to be. I don't think you can do that. I am personally an expert in the development of firmware for embedded smart devices (since 1978) and I can tell you the problems are daunting and outstrip current AI technology and sensor technology to name a couple things. For example there are no affordable sensors that can tell the difference between a dog, an infant, or a small toy during a rainstorm. And that doesn't even start on the social/legal/liability issues (such as who is responsible for accidents etc). The only thing that makes it a relatively strong engineering focus is the rich rewards to be gained from capturing the market and patents as an early manufacturer (another point that disputes your claim because if the big companies try to slow progress then another "elon musk" will come steal the market from them).

Do you think Tesla made their auto-pilot less capable than they could have so they could get sued when it causes accidents?

There are thousands of articles that directly contradict what I say and paint a rosy picture. Problem is they're ALL written by journalists trying to get readership by hyping the technology. You see nothing but flowery abstract language when discussing specific technical issues or a discussion of only those things we've solved as though we're there now.