Old 06-01-19, 12:09 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Recommendations for a sporty steel commuter

Hey fellow bike commuters. I recently started a new job with a 16 mile commute each way. For years I've been commuting on my trusty Centurion ProTour, but I've come to the realization that I like to go fast and while I can go fast on that bike, it's more due to the engine rather than the bike (if I can toot my own horn a little ). I used to ride my carbon Trek 5200 on sunny days, and absolutely loved it, but that frame was recently totaled after a car accident. I ended up using the money from insurance and too much of my own funds to buy a BMC Team Machine SLR02, but I'm realizing that I don't feel comfortable commuting on the bike because of how much its worth. There is a locked bike room in the parking garage of my new office, and while I feel fine leaving my Centurion locked up all day, I have more reservations leaving a $4000 carbon bike locked up in a room that's enclosed in chain link fence. Also, I don't like the idea of my carbon bike getting dinged up by the bike rack and my u-lock (which happened a lot on my old 5200). There isn't really a space in my office for it (tragically), and I'm realizing that I could replace the pro tour with a racier steel frame that takes fenders.

So basically, my qualifications are race-oriented geometry, fender mounts, at least 32mm tires (would be cool to use it for light gravel as well), with disc brakes being a plus but not a requirement.
Bikes like the Surly Pacer (RIP), Soma Smoothie, Gunnar Roadie, or All City Mr. Pink seem like good options.

Any other recommendations? I'm not looking to buy anything ASAP- more trying to get a good list of options so if I see something pop up on Facebook or Craigslist I will feel comfortable biting the bullet.
This thread was largely inspired by me missing out on a Soma Smoothie frame in my size for $50 due to my own hesitation.

Thanks!