View Single Post
Old 06-28-18, 10:45 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The only way to "ride safely" and not be hit by a car, is to not ride among cars. That is it.

There is nothing as cyclists we can do about cellphone zombies and mid-afternoon drunks coming back from tailgating. Cyclists will still be hit and killed even after doing everything right WRT traffic law and street smarts.
this is IMHO an totally misleading to newbies and in accurate view.

if that were true ever person who ever rode a bike on the road would have been hit.

I have riding on the road for 50+ years, narrow Montana highways (US 2) on my 3 speed columbia getting my cycling merit badge and later on my first road bike, Newfoundland, Bermuda, Bahamas, Nova scotia, and New england with the bike I kept on the Coast Guard ship I was stationed on, NYC when I lived there and all over california.

By your stated standards I should have been hit many times, but I have never been hit by a car. I fell once and got a cheek scrape when a car pulled into a gas station in front of me. My biggest injury was caused by a dog chasing cat and running in front of me.....and that was really huge bruising.