View Single Post
Old 05-08-11, 07:33 AM
mthayer

Bikes: 2009 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally get where your coming from. I live in a smaller town, 3000 people and I got mocked, made fun of, and was teased/harrassed because I rode my bike. It was not normal for people to see someone riding the main roads getting exercise and doing something the like. I became recognized as the guy who rode his bike all over town. People started giving me more room on the road, and would eventually ask questions about why I ride my bike everywhere, and started to get to know who I really was. They figured out I was just liked to ride my bike.

I started my journey of riding on a $5 mtb from a garage sale. My first ride was 1 mile and I was hurting afterwards. I kept at it, and the rides got longer and harder over time. What motivated me was people saying that I couldn't ride a bike. I rode the hell of that bike and I was able to eventually upgrade to bikes that I wanted.

If someone says I can't do something, I make it a point to do it. I started doing triathlons bevause some made a comment that I was to fat to do it. I do it to spite people and find that I like doing sports that I would have never got into. Find what motivates you and use iit to keep going.

Last edited by mthayer; 05-08-11 at 07:55 AM.