Old 08-25-15, 08:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Well, yeah. a 2 or 3 pound tire that takes up a lot of room would be a bear.

I tour on 26" MTB and take a Kenda Klimax Lite as a spare. 330 grams, and I put it at the bottom of my handlebar bag, so I really don't notice it.

If I was riding your bike and really getting out there and riding solo, I'd probably find the lightest tire I could run and lash it to my seatbag, though.
vik makes a very valid point about a spare tire being dead weight and mostly useless. I suppose that I could damage a tire enough to make it unusable but I've only ever had one tire damaged in roughly 10,000 miles of loaded touring including about 1000 miles of mountain bike touring. I can't say that I've even damaged a tire enough to be unridable in 40 years of riding and that includes a whole lot more mountain biking. I carry spare tubes, a patch kit and a large piece of Tyvek but I haven't ever needed the Tyvek.

On a side note to vik, if you are worried about weight why are you carrying around a battery powered flasher?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!