Old 04-05-18, 10:47 AM
Ziyi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any opinion on how wide tire I can run on a njs / keirin frame?

Hey hey bike friends
2nd time poster but an all- time browser here with a question for those of you who've ridden njs / keirin frame.

What is the widest tire you've fit on your frame? And have you had any problems fitting a wider than 25 tire on it??

I have a keirin frame built by a less known builder Umezawa. I believe it's built between 2000 - 2010. I heard that
keirin frames built in the 70s have comparably tighter clearance (could just be individual cases). But there seem to be some clearance on both front and drivetrain on my frame. I don't have a drilled fork.
I have been running a 23, but I ride in nyc daily and roads are ****. I have slipt into cracks and seams and fell a few times. I'm so done with the 23!
I know I could run 25 with no problems but ideally, I want to fit 28s on both front and rear. Thinking about running Continental Grand Prix GP 4000s on my velocity wheelset (cliche i know). I've measured to see if there's more than 3mm clearance but my measurement is ambiguous. There's like a little less than 3mm from tire to fork on both sides.

Does anyone have any insight/ experience on this?
TY!!