View Single Post
Old 01-07-19, 10:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8

thanks for the information. I stopped by my local bike shop...for cleats of course, asked if they had any reasonable fat bikes...picking up the shop owner’s Pugs as my new to me fat bike. Currently setup tubeless with the 120 tpi Nates( I have yet to read a review that found any flavor of Nates to not be slow rolling). He also suggested front and rear studded tires for my intended use. I have one groomed trail I can ride nearby, not technical in the slightest, but everything else’s will likely have a bit of scattered ice. I cringe at the price of tires, so am going to try the 120 tpi studded cake eaters. Sad that $300 for tires seems “reasonable,” lol.
I think the Nates are only good for loose dirt/mud; since I never ride those conditions I really don't like them.

Studded fat tires are crazy $$$! I was reminded many times that my bike tires cost more than a car tires. But, I put more miles on my bike than my car, so it makes sense to me