Old 05-07-19, 12:02 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
6ft 5in at 265lbs. I find your comments about the welding on the Canyon frame to be spot on. When looking at bicycles, durability is predicated on how well they are built and to what standards. Rightly or wrongly I tend to err on the side of actual or perceived durability over weight saving. I ride old school bicycles now with 64 to 67cm frames. I've had to experiment with many stems, handlebars, seats and pedal extenders to get to where I have really comfortable, relatively fast and reliable bicycles. Like you I'm not interested in super light as much as light and very durable. My bicycles don't break down and leave me stranded. I use 32mm to 40mm tires and have very good luck with their durability. My riding is an equal mix of on road and dirt road riding so all my bicycles are set up for both. For my weight and size I have had much more luck finding steel frames with which to modify to my preferences and being old school I tend to trust steel more than other materials. I do all my own work on the bicycles and this may weigh into your decision making process as to what level you are comfortable wrenching at. As to the disc brake sales pitch you have to remember rim brakes are disc brakes also. Disc's make sense to mudders, downhill MTB riders and maybe trick riders. I wouldn't not consider rim brakes just because this year they are not the big fad. I've never felt underbraked with rim brakes in emergency situations in traffic, or coming down long grades with rim brakes or even in the rain. Good luck in finding your bicycle.