Old 06-18-19, 04:12 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by D34THNOTE
Hello, so as you guessed from the title, I'm new to the more "sporty" bikes, I got myself Romet Aspre because it was pretty cheap as for gravel bike, there are probably better options that I didn't even consider, maybe I got too excited, or maybe it's a decent bike for it's price? There's the link so that you can see what it's got and inform me if I made good decision: *link that I can't post because I'm new*

But that's not the main concern of mine, I actually started thinking if I shouldn't have picked up an road bike instead, what got me thinking that is the fact that on my first ride Google Maps was saying that I was going about 30km/h at best(and also on average), which is merely +/- 5km/h more than I could do on average on my MBT(measured by speedometer, dunno how accurate Google maps is). Now I guess that things like pain in the back and weird feeling in knee(not pain, just got feeling like I have to sort of move my leg to get rid of it which doesn't work) are things I'd have to deal with on either gravel or road bikes, what concerns me the most is the fact that riding so far hasn't been that much easier, I felt like wind was limiting my speed even more than on MBT, that's actually good question, why do I sometimes have to slow down because I feel like there's wind slowing me down where there's almost none at all, and other times on the same road I don't feel it at all(and there's still almost now wind blowing in any direction)

So my real question is, how faster is road bike really? I know I can change tyres which would help a bit probably, although I don't do much riding in forests and stuff like this, I do like idea of versatility because I do sometimes go off road and roads aren't the best where I live either, that's why I chose gravel in the first place, I don't plan to do any races, I just wanted a bit more speed on tarmac and keep possibility to go through forests, sand etc.

My english is not the best as well, but I hope everything's clear, as you can see I have basically no knowledge about bikes and riding so I might not understand words which are popular in bike community.
Looks like your bike comes with Michelin Power Gravel 40 knobby tires. Put some tires like the Gravel King Slick 32c's and you'll be flying. Your bike will handle just as a road bike does.