View Single Post
Old 06-19-19, 05:25 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow

I’m back, had to go for a ride and cool off.

time to upgrade the rims on my Twenty and regrease the BB turned into a bad time. Using a park tool press the NDS pin came right out. The DS did not budge, just bent over and snapped off. Trying to punch it out with no effect. Looks like it is hung up on the slot ledge. Might have to drill. This after soaking in oil too.

moved on, taped new rims to wheels. Started with the front. All went fine but in the end, the CR18 is not even close to the SA rims. Spokes all too loose for a truing. So it looks like spoke calculating time, new spoke/washer time and more cost..,

i’m almost afraid to try and change the 15T cog for a 16T right now. Snap ring might break or fly off who knows where!
I've given up working on these without a cotter press. Too much time, too much frustration, too much un-success. Not that I've bought the Bikesmith one. But my LBS has the older Park tool and the proprietor will let me use it if I bring the bike over, which isn't that convenient either. Eventually, I will have to buy the Bikesmith tool, I know that.