bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by atomship47
this may be a really dumb question...so forgive my naivete'

i notice that many of the bikes used for touring, etc. have little suspension, saddle padding, carbon or other ride/vibration dampening features. doesn't that make them less comfortable for long rides?

i guess that just goes to show how important "fit" is.

saddle padding (IMHO) is useless, it only creates problems, as you squish down into that comfy saddle you compress all those vital nerves and blood vessels - keeping them from doing their work. if you can fit your saddle to your sit bones, the majority of your weight is carried by your frame. many LD folks choose leather saddles as they can be more comfortable over the long haul.

there are suspension systems for LD bikes like the softride (used to great success in some RAAM races) - but most folks get their fit right and adjust their tire size and pressure to take care of suspension. MTB style suspension robs you of power on the road, esp when climbing.

steel dampens road vibrations very nicely. add some wide(r) tires and you can ride forever.
carbon can do this too, when used correctly - many people who ride LD like to carry some minimal baggage - and sometimes its hard to mount racks and things on carbon frame components (i rode last year series on a steel / carbon racing frame and it worked well... i just got tired of having no way to mount real fenders and having to make due with improvised attachments for lights, my rear rack, etc.)

YMMV.

i prefer my ti bike with steel fork and long reach brakes.
rigged for rando i have real fenders, 28mm tires, and options for luggage.

stripped for nice weather if makes a great all around machine.

i'm also hoping to do a fixed century this year on my surly. steel frame, no frills. comfy ride.