View Single Post
Old 04-09-19, 10:37 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Congrats on a great start!! I started riding again 2 years ago, though life kept me off the bike in 2018 - back on now, though! Anyway, when I started again in 2017, I took the opposite approach of you with a similar result - I figured "I'm a big guy, I'll buy a cheap heavy WalMart bike". So I did, a heavy (not 65 pounds, though!!!) Huffy bike-shaped-object and started riding. And I hated it, because the bike was awkward, not very nimble, not fast, harder to climb hills...so it lasted a week before I returned it to WalMart and went to a couple bike shops to find the one with the best service. They hooked me up with the right bike that is simply a joy to ride, and still didn't break the bank. So, my point is, if you have the cash, get the bike that inspires you to ride. I was worried about durability at 365 pounds myself, but I have over 1,000 miles on my Trek FX2 and it's holding up great. I did have to replace the rear wheel after I got run off the road and did a fairly large drop, but Trek replaced it under warranty...and really, avoid jumps/drops and you'll be fine . So go unto some local bike shops, talk to the folks there, and find the shop that will serve you well - a relationship with the shop is more important than the brand of bike, IMO. I ended up on a Trek because my local Trek store provides the best service by far - they watched me test ride, make free adjustments (frequently, the first year!!), installed aftermarket parts that I bought elsewhere when they didn't have exactly what I wanted...they're awesome. Hopefully you can find a shop that's awesome, and they'll get you set up on something fun to ride and easy to handle.