Old 07-23-20, 01:30 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
C-58, have you had the same Q-100 motor the entire time? Also, is it cassette or freewheel?
Yep, it is the 328rpm motor (designed for 20" wheel), so it likes to go fast. No load speed is 29mph I think. I doubt it has the power to do more than 20mph on its own, but with my legs providing 50% of the power, we are happy doing 25mph together. ;-)

Its a single speed/fixed gear bike. Originally I used it fixed gear to commute, but obviously switched to single speed when I added the motor. One happy benefit is that its the only high end frame I've seen with beefy dropouts. Geared road bikes have some wimpy drop outs, but a Track Bike vertical drop out is pretty beefy. I bought a '94 steel Specialized race bike to electrify it, but the dropouts are so scrawny that i was scared to electrify it. However, its such a sweet bike, I love riding it Au-Natural too much to put a motor on it.

First and only single speed and drop bar bike I've really ever seen in the DIY scene. I was a little nervous trying a single speed build, but looking at the engineering drawings it seemed doable - and worked out quite well.
Likes For chas58: