Old 11-11-18, 11:53 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
- A lot of people fear bicycle riding. Not the traffic, just the ACT of riding one. My wife, for instance. She is an expert inline speed skater happy to do 25mph with "no" brakes. Go figure.

- Most novice cyclists have memories of the saddle killing their arses. Sore bottoms is the #1 reason those who tried and failed to become cyclists. Scooters - no problem.

- Scooters are closer to the ground. Shorter distance to fall for those afraid of heights.

- Many people want their feet close to the ground. Like an Electra Townie sort of. Many people want to be able to touch the ground flat-footed when they stop. As we all know, that position is very inefficient for pedaling AND puts all of their weight on their tookus. See "killing their arses" above.

- Scooters are "child's play" to ride. And they are fun. Scooters do not LOOK dangerous, like a bike, to some people.

- Many people hate cyclists and do not want to be one.

- Never underestimate the laziness of people. It's the MOTOR they desire. And the novelty.

- Walking sucks. I would prefer to ride than walk. OH...there's a motorized scooter! My feet hurt. Gimme that.

^^ IMO