Old 05-06-19, 05:49 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
You speak as if you haven't been around BF for a while and haven't read a thousand boring threads where people argue the merits of frame materials. Like I said, that's just my opinion, based on riding bikes and owning bikes. "Frame material means squat" is really a hilariously ill-informed position to take, but whatever, if that's your opinion, fine
I have been around for a long time, and I have read posts ad nauseum re frame materials. There's lots and lots of opinion out there, but something you really have to dig hard for is context. When posts/comments are made there is often no context involved, and it becomes no more than a whinge. "my frame broke and now I hate material a" is extremely common. It is seriously common for those riding their beginner bike that is alloy. Context, where it is given, is that those bikes are far more often than not, a cheap entry level bike, and not properly made for the punishment that the riders are giving them. As a beginner, you probably don't know any better, but dismissing a whole frame building material because of it is akin to dismissing all gas cars because you bought a cheap piece of junk and it failed on you.

All frame materials come in different tube profiles, thicknesses, butting to provide different characteristics. You absolutely must acknowledge, with this being the clyde forum, that the vast majority of bikes are made for 60-70kg riders. That means that these, often poorly designed cheap bikes are just not suited to the riders in this forum. So they go to a steel bike, but the steel bike guy has built a bike to cater for a rider that is on the bigger side. Of course it will ride better. But that's not just because it is steel, it is because it was designed better. But if you get an alloy frame that IS built to take your weight and perform then it will ride and last every bit as well as anything else. The same can be said for every other frame material, and that is why I say the material itself doesn't mean anything. It is all about how the bike is built through tube characteristics and tube junction treatment. The problem is that there just aren't many manufacturers that cater for our end of the market. Extending on from this, there are very very few makers that make allowances for larger riders and larger frames. Most makers just cut longer tubes of what is on their XS bikes, and they end up handling like poo. Canyon is one maker that does cater for larger riders and I would stand by what they put out. Felt is another company that makes necessary changes as bikes get larger. I can't talk to a lot of other makers as they just don't make bikes big enough to come onto my radar. My Duratec track bike is custom. Custom wall thickness and hydroformed tubing to cater to my weight and what I wanted to do with it. It's stiff because I had it built for track sprinting, and they designed it very well for that purpose. My next road bike when I move on from my Canyon will most likely be a custom alloy from Duratec.

Frame material in the end is a personal preference and as for everything in the end, YMMV

Originally Posted by GreenHoliday
I'm not being facetious, but have you seen the welds on those new Grails? Gives me pause for concern. I don't want to come across as some sort of fancy boy who needs to have an immaculate bike, but that is a structural component and I don't know that even the most satisfied Canyon customer could look at the welds and not admit they are pretty sloppy. That being said, it is reassuring that you have ridden and recommend a Canyon.
As someone that is currently doing a welding course I would say that I'm actually encouraged by those welds on a bike that has been made to stand up to the rigors of off road riding. But it certainly must be said that it does affect the aesthetics of the bike. Whether that is something you could put up with is a personal choice, but it is far better to put up with that than a bike that isn't the right size for you.

I would seriously recommend putting some money into a bike fitter. It may cost $1-200 to do, but that is money saved if you end up on the wrong bike for you physically. When I was fitted for my track bike, it just so happened that the fitter had a new frame in the shop built for a guy 6'6". Theoretically it should be too big, just. No it wasn't, we had to put a 170mm stem on it to get it the right length for me! So that should help you to see that a few basic body dimensions can change things completely. Maybe you don't need something as big as that Canyon, maybe you do....